“For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.” - Martin Luther King Jr.
Thanks to all that took action, County Planning staff and the members of the MoCo Forest Coalition (below).
The MoCo Forest Coalition Press Release
Our own Caroline Taylor explains the impact of this law: "The well being of our communities and needed resilience in the face of climate change are inextricably tied to the health of our forests. Three cheers to forward thinking council members and collaboration!"
Biodiversity for a Livable Climate
Cedar Lane Ecosystems Study Group
Cedar Lane UU Church
Chesapeake Bay Foundation
Chesapeake Climate Action Network
Friends of Sligo Creek
Friends of Ten Mile Creek & Little Seneca Reservoir
Green Sanctuary Committee of Unitarian-Universalist Church of Silver Spring
Maryland League of Conservation Voters
Montgomery Countryside Alliance
Montgomery County Faith Alliance for Climate Solutions
Rock Creek Conservancy
Safe Healthy Playing Fields
Sierra Club Montgomery County Maryland
Sugarloaf Citizens Association
Stormwater Partners Network
Takoma Park Mobilization Environment Committee
Transit Alternatives to Midcounty Highway Extended (TAME Coalition)
White Acres Farm
Potomac Almanac Coverage of Tree Loss
It can take several weeks or months for the county code in American Legal to be updated. In the meantime, please see the links at the top of Montgomery Planning’s Environment webpage to refer to the amendments in Bill 25-22, the February 22, 2021 version of Forest Conservation Law, and the June 15, 2021 version of the Forest Conservation Regulations.
Below are links to updated documents and resources you may need to refer to now that the amendment is in effect. Links to these documents are also available on our Forest Conservation Plan and Forest Conservation Resources & Forms webpages:
- Priority Areas for Forest Conservation Map
- Land Use Categories, Thresholds, Priority Areas Information Sheet
- Selection of Priority Areas for Forest Conservation Information Sheet
- FCP Worksheet – Within Same Watershed or Priority Area
- FCP Worksheet – Outside Same Watershed or Priority Area
- Onsite Maintenance & Management Agreement
- Offsite Maintenance & Management Agreement
- The data behind forest loss in MoCo - Stronger Protections Needed
- Meaningful and Clutter Free Giving - Re-Leaf the Reserve Honor Cards let you plant a forest in honor or memory.
- Re-Leaf the Reserve will soon plant our 5000th tree!